[Homeroast] aluminum for roasting

Mike Chester mchet at charter.net
Mon Apr 12 16:48:15 CDT 2010

Aluminum should be perfectly safe for this use.  Excess aluminum has been
found in the autopsied brains of Alzheimer's patients, but there has been no
cause and effect relationship established.  Furthermore, for aluminum to be
ingested, it must be dissolved in some way.   I would not cook an acid
containing meal in bare aluminum, but this would be as much for taste as for
safety as the dissolved aluminum would not taste good.  Dry heat such as
used in roasting would not transfer aluminum to the coffee.  Aluminum is an
excellent conductor of heat, in fact it is often laminated into the bottom
of stainless steel pans to make them heat more evenly.  (Silver is the best
conductor of heat {and electricity} followed by copper and then aluminum.)
I hope that this helps.

Mike Chester