[Homeroast] aluminum for roasting

Mike Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 14:58:16 CDT 2010

A few points on Aluminum (or Aluminium if you are so inclined):

1.  It is the 3rd most abundant element on the planet, so avoiding it in
your diet is nearly impossible.  You get between 2-25 mg/day just by eating
normal food, which far exceeds any exposure you may get from your coffee
equipment.

2.  Uncoated Aluminum surfaces quickly form a layer of Aluminum oxide which
is remarkably stable and prevents solutions (such as water or coffee) from
attacking the metallic layer underneath.   The only way you MAY get some
aluminum dissolving in water (or coffee, beer or whatnot)  is to scour the
surface, then quickly expose it to the solution before the oxide layer has a
chance to form.

3.  The link between Aluminum intake from diet and Alzheimers is not widely
accepted (except by internet fearmongers), and even the Alzheimer's Society
states that there is no correlation, especially given the large amount
consumed on a daily basis in a normal diet in most of the population.

That being said,  I once used an Aluminum rod for a drum roaster on my
Grill, and found that it would bend if I let the grill get too hot,  so
maybe it's not the ideal metal for use in roasters.

--mike