[Homeroast] aluminum for roasting

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 12 14:23:53 CDT 2010

I am not a medical person, and my chemistry background certainly does not establish any sort of expertise. When I looked into the Aluminium/Alzheimer's issue, the impression I got is that Aluminium, although not the best thing for the body, does not enter the body easily. The advice that I consistently saw not to cook highly acidic foods with aluminium cookware(such as spaghetti sauce). I can tell you that the last position that I read from the Alzheimer's association stated that the hypothesis that Aluminum was a strong contributing factor leading to Alzheimer's appeared unlikely. (Again, I am not a doctor and have NO expertise on this, I am just a consumer passing along friendly information that I have accumulated- please verify for yourself)

Now, roasting-wise, what I would be concerned with is the "speed" at which the metal heats up and cools down and how that plays into roasting consistency. As I recall from memory, the specific heat of Aluminium is pretty low which means that the your bowl will heat up quickly and cool down quickly depending on the ambient temperature (Chemistry friends- please stop me if I say something stupid). This is what I would consider.

Now that I have commented on every technical subject that I am not an expert in, do you have any numbers that need crunching?

--
Ryan M. Ward

http://www.ubuntu.com