[Homeroast] Iphone app for determining inaudible crack sounds

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Sat Apr 10 20:03:54 CDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 06:13:34PM -0700, g paris wrote:
> if you can actually see first crack let me know!!
>
> WOW how cool.
>
> see, hear and watch!!

Not too difficult, at least in some roasters.  I'd been having trouble
hearing the cracks when I switched to the Nesco, though I don't think
that was the motivation for taping a bean mass volume gauge (read:
roughly calibrated marks on a piece of skinny masking tape) to the
handle's upright.  And, yeah, beans and roasts vary some, but I assure
you that when the top of the agitated (1) bean mass goes from
(typically) 12.5% to near 50% in around one minute, yeah, you've seen
first crack.  Doesn't do so much for second crack, at least not for the
limited amount of it I want to have happen.

http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=905#p4724

(1) they're stirred, not shaken.  perhaps you're thinking of a
Freshroast ;-/

--
Q: What do you get when programmers design a language
   while trying to get something else done?