[Homeroast] Coffee Recipe

Phil Palmintere phil.palmintere at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 17:25:25 CDT 2010

A few months ago, I posted to this list that I had found an old book
copyright 1963 titled “Coffee:  Recipes, Customs, Facts & Fancies” by Jean
Gordon.  Well, we’ve moved, and I’m unpacking boxes, and I stumbled across
it.  I thought I’d share with everyone a recipe from this book today, and
one of its fun facts.

FACT:  William Harvey bequeathed to the London College of Physicians
fifty-six pounds of coffee with the proviso that his colleagues meet
together each month on the day of his death & drink a cup of coffee in his
honor.

RECIPE:  Coffee Tapioca Pudding

·         1 egg, separated

·         5 tablespoons sugar

·         2 cups coffee

·         3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca

·         1/8 teaspoon salt

·         ½ teaspoon vanilla

·         1 cup cream, whipped

·         Chocolate syrup

·         Chopped walnuts

Beat egg white until foamy.  Add 2 tablespoons sugar gradually, beating
until mixture forms peaks.  Set aside.  In saucepan beat egg yolk slightly
with ¼ cup coffee.  Add tapioca, salt, remaining coffee, and sugar.  Stir
over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.  Remove from heat and slowly
pour mixture into egg whites blending well.  Add vanilla.  Cool.   Stir once
again after 15 minutes.  When chilled spoon alternate layers of tapioca
mixture, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup into parfait glasses.  Top with
whipped cream and chopped nuts.  Makes 6 to 8 servings.

I haven’t tried the above recipe, having just now opened a moving box &
finding this 47 year old recipe book.

Anyone game to try it?