[Homeroast] RK Drum grill suggestions?

Floyd Lozano fplozano at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:24:50 CDT 2010

My experience has been that a target store brand grill (3 burner
perpendicular to the drum, 36K BTU) is a difficult choice.  The
summers make it difficult to roast because it's hard to keep the
temperature low enough to roast less than 2lb without roasting too
fast.  In the winters, it handles 3lb easily enough (i rarely roast
more than 3lb at a time because I don't have a way to cool it fast
enough, although this isn't a problem in the winter).  If buying again
for Boston-style weather, for the roasts i'm interested in (1lb to 3lb
with the occasional run of 4lb when roasting Christmas gifts) I'd
choose something at or just under 30K, and maybe even lower if you
could get that kind that has the burners laid parallel to the drum
(since that should apply the head more evenly and directly to the drum
and contents)

-F