[Homeroast] Roasting on travel

Justin Schwarz houstini at comcast.net
Mon Apr 5 15:06:39 CDT 2010

No roasting on this trip but I have taken a popper along a few times on long trips.  When I used to work for someone that had a booth at the Tucson gem show, a grueling 16 days of 12-14 hour days.  I tried to roast in the house I was staying at but did that only once, their range hood vented back into the kitchen.  There was no outlet outside or nearby the door so I had to get an extension cord.  I couldn't have been happier to have a small shred of home with me.

On a month long trip to Kona when I was just getting into roasting I found a popper in a thrift store there and couldn't pass it up, I roasted every other night on the lanai and was so elated to have freshly roasted beans that seem so elusive there.  I left the popper at the condo we stayed at and for 3 years after that we continued to rent the same condo and the popper tas there for us when we came back!

I don't do too much popper roasting anymore, mostly on the grill/drum.  I did find my first poppery 1 in a thrift store a while ago so maybe I should give it a try for some small ends of bags.

-Justin