[Homeroast] Turkish coffee, was Good Friday Cup

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 14:17:25 CDT 2010

Ray mentions "boiling". Ray mentions not ever reaching boiling with
his method, but there is apparently some  confusion between "foaming"
and "boiling" when referring to Turkish Coffee. I post this not to
correct anything Ray has said, but simply to address a common area of
confusion.

There are some Turkish Coffee brewing tips on the Sweet Maria's website:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/brewinstr/brew.inst.ibrik.php

In the section,
"Brewing Turkish coffee (courtesy of customer Raj Apte 1/19/06)",
there is the following tip:

<start quote>
When brewing Turkish coffee, the foaming occurs at around 70C (158
degrees F), much cooler than boiling, which is why it's possible to
foam the coffee repeatedly without boiling it--higher than 75C the
coffee becomes over-extracted.
<end quote>

Brian