[Homeroast] Good Friday Cup

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 13:25:10 CDT 2010

I tried some Turkish coffee- my way- using hot distilled H2O from the
espresso machine wand. It generated the micro foam directly, so the trick
was to maintain the foam head 5m without letting it actually boil and
agitate the brew.

The first time I brewed Turkish was in the new Ibrik I got from SM. I had
images floating in my head about several boil-foam-cool cycles. That wasn't
going to happen, misteak or not. Too many "boil" cycles for my coffee.

Rules are made for breaking, plus the synapses convert everything to fuzzy
logic anyway. Maintaining the foam requires a <Little> less heat than the
churning boil cycle, and this clod barista didn't master it for a while.

For a new roast, the starting espresso grind is 20. (Burr separation)  10
seemed like a good starting point for Turkish, so, like the first espresso
shot I ever brewed, I added a little organic cane sugar to the coffee
grounds. Also a nip of vanilla soy milk, to cover all misteaks.

Two coffee spoons (enough for two double espresso shots) of beans for the 10
oz Ibrik. With the burrs set to 10, BUFF had to work a few seconds to grind
it, and lots of grounds came out when I "puffed" it several times to clear
the grind path.

Instead of bringing the water-coffee-sugar to a boil in the cold Ibrik, I
boil the water first and add it, never actually boiling the brew. Micro foam
comes up immediately- dark, not the golden crema color of espresso.

I was originally tempted to try Turkish brewing in my foaming pitcher- about
the right size. Glad I didn't. Imagine the mess, donning welding gloves
mid-brew to avoid hot knuckles.

Even with the interesting-to-watch mixture turnover, the first brews weren't
bad at all, and clumsily decanting the homogenized brew from a right-handed
Ibrik made for some tantalizing body. It's a Hoot!

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!
--
Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...