[Homeroast] iRoast alternatives?

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Thu Apr 1 08:13:45 CDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 7:56 PM, miKe mcKoffee wrote:

> ALL coffee roasting produces smoke, regardless the degree of roast. Some
> roasting methods the smoke is more noticeable than others. And of course the
> darker the finish degree of roast the more smoke produced at the end of the
> roast. And again of course, the larger the batch the more smoke produced.
> But smoke is present (whether visually noticeable or not) any size batch and
> far before 2nd crack, even far before 1st crack.

Yeah, roasting smoke becomes noticeable and smells change shortly before 1st crack starts (using heatgun). And yes, more smoke when entering 2nd, if I make it that far.

On Mar 28, 2010, at 3:21 PM, Phil Palmintere wrote:

> In the grander scheme of things, I would have liked to have a more
> powerful/quicker cool-down (e.g., dump hot beans into a colander & use a
> strong fan).  The beans take a good 5+ mins. to cool down, whereas with my
> old popcorn popper and industrial fan, I could cool them to room temperature
> in about 45 seconds.  However, I haven't figured out if the difference in
> cool-down times can be tasted in the cup.

Yeah, I'm planning on building a cooler sometime soon. I have most of the parts. At the core is the coffee filter pan portion from a percolator coffee urn. There is a central tube which I'm going to run a bolt through, I have a motor that turns at a stately pace (field effect motor with gear train, not sure of the exact RPMs), and I plan to build a mixing blade out of a strip of oak I have. The fan I'll use is a like a 10" diameter muffin fan (round case). We'll see how long it actually takes me to find the time to build, but I have a plan, anyway. Just need to figure out how to attach the motor to the pan. If I do pull this off, I'll be sure to post pics :)

I have another percolator urn that I'm dreaming of turning into a roaster :D
-
allon