[Homeroast] Nesco Roaster 1st time

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Thu Dec 31 22:47:23 CST 2009

> I've never used a Nesco home roaster. From your description, it sounds like
> it suffers from the same over-temperature problems as the air poppers that
> are used for coffee roasting. They work after a fashion, but the simple
> excess temperature compensation is to operate them on a long extension cord.

Nope. The Nesco can do an amazing light roast in 15-16 minutes or so. It uses a low airflow hot air for heat, and a metal auger in a glass chamber for agitation and also heat buffering.

That you've never used a Nesco is apparent from your comments (no offense).

29 is a LONG time in the Nesco.

I don't recommend a Nesco for dark roasts. I do 142g of coffee and roast for only 21-22 minutes or so. I use my Nesco for light roasts only - if I want darker, I use my iRoast or heat gun, but of the three, the Nesco does the best light roast. Oh, and the 21-22 is the time on the clock, not the cooling. I usually open it up, use a hot pad to remove the chaff filter, dump the beans in a colander and agitate over a fan (outside) which also accomplishes chaff removal.

-
allon