[Homeroast] Nesco Roaster 1st time

Mike Sieweke msieweke at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 31 12:01:14 CST 2009

Laura wrote:

> Well, I just received my Nesco home roaster and my green beans.
> This is my
> first time roasting beans.
>
> I have tried a few batches of roasting from total time including 5
> min cool
> down that ranges anywhere from 22 (17) to 29 (24). And then I take
> them out
> immediately an put them in a colander, shake until cool.
>
> I did notice that with the last batch at 29 min, which I saw little
> burn
> spots on some of the beans.
>
> Where is that fine line between dark roast and scorch?
>
> I smell the air that is coming out of the roaster and it doesn't smell
> burnt, but when my husband walks in, he says that he smells something
> burning.  It doesn't taste like it is burnt and we can still taste of
> flavors of the beans, whether it is chocolate, mango or hazelnut
> overtones.
>
> Can someone help me with this?
>
> Thanks, Laura

Have you read Sweet Maria's tip sheet for the Nesco?  It may answer
some of your questions.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/Tip-Sheets_PDF_files/
NescoCoffeeRoasterTipSheet.pdf

When you say "little burn spots", are they round, shallow craters?  If
so, they are called divots and the beans aren't burnt.  Divots generally
appear during second crack, or somewhere in the "full city +" roast
range.  A tiny part of the bean breaks off, leaving a rough patch that
looks darker than the smooth surface of the bean.  This is normal.

The smoke that comes out while roasting generally smells worse than the
beans will taste.  It's normal for it to smell slightly burnt,
especially
at darker roast levels.  The Nesco roaster has a catalytic converter to
help reduce the smoke level, and the c.c. may be contributing to the
burnt
aroma.  I don't have experience with the Nesco, so I can't say for sure.

When I roast, it usually smells good to me.  But if I leave the house
for half an hour, I notice a slight burnt aroma when I come back.  It
may have something to do with the nose becoming acclimated to the smell
when you're immersed in it - kind of like doctors and nurses who don't
notice that the hospital smells of alcohol.

If you're enjoying the coffee and tasting the subtle character of the
beans, then you're on the path.  Scorched beans smell (and taste) of
burnt rubber, so you'll know if you reach that point.

Welcome to the world of home roasting!

Mike