[Homeroast] Hot Top to Behmor

Thu Dec 31 20:56:31 CST 2009

First, my Hot Top was an original version.  I had not updated the control
panel, so my ability to control  the roast was very limited.  I realized my
Hot Top was doing a poor job of roasting, I just didn't realize how poor.  I
expect I will miss the cooling tray on the Hot Top but I won't miss the
amount of smoke the Hot Top put out.  Currently I can see the coffee
roasting better than I could on the Hot Top.  I really like the larger
window and the light.  I can hear the roast better with the Behmor.   I
don't care for any coffee roasted into the second crack.  So dark roast was
not important.  I absolutly love being able to roast a full pond of coffee
at one time.  This is a huge advantage for the Behmor. I was a big fan of
the Hot Top, The build quality of the Hot Top is better.  I roasted hundreds
of pounds of coffee with the Hot Top.  It was a hell of a machine.

I purchased the Behmor to get me to a commercial roaster this coming fall.
In this role I am confident it will accomplish the mission. I may be
surprised but I don't expect it to last much more than a year.

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 5:26 PM, A list to discuss home coffee roasting.
There are rules for this list, available at
http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html <