[Homeroast] Hot Top to Behmor

Thu Dec 31 16:42:51 CST 2009

Well my Hot Top bit the dust about 10 days ago while I was roasting
Christmas Coffee and Vacation Coffee (not much Christmas Coffee for the
masses, I was going on vacation after all!!)  I have an original Hot Top
roaster, I expect one of the first ones Sweet Maria's sold.  It needed lots
of help and when I added up all the new parts I ws spending $330.  I knew
this day was coming.  For the last year I have been looking foe a "small"
commercial roaster.  Well this item is for all practical purposes not
available.  SInce I had not found a suitable replacement and $330 dollars on
this old roaster seemed like a waste, I ordered the Behmor.  I and all of my
friends prefer a medium roasted bean so it looked to be a good match.  Today
I received the Behmor and roasted 1/2 pound of Guatemalan.  First try,
Perfect.  I will continue to look for a commercial roaster but this roaster
will keep me going for a while.  It actually does a better job than my Hot
Top.  I am really thrilled with the performance of this roaster.