[Homeroast] Measured weight of whole beans to roast in Yama VP 8 cup

Bob Hazen peatmonster at comcast.net
Wed Dec 30 10:56:04 CST 2009

John,

For drip and vac pot I'm using 39 g of beans with 22 oz of water.  I admit
that the mix of unit systems bugs me, but it seems most folks measure coffee
in grams and water in ounces.  Go figure.  Also, 39 g of beans going into
the grinder doesn't mean 39 g coming out.  I may lose 1 or 2 g in the
grinder.  Some coffees are worse than others.  When I seem to lose a
significant amount in the grinder, I use a modified toilet plunger to blow
those grinds out, since I know they'll go stale and come out next time.
(Yes, the toilet plunger is dedicated to this specific task...)

I'd be interested in your findings regarding grind level and steep time.
I'm am finally getting my arms around the vac pot method and liking it.

Bob