[Homeroast] Cold Brewing Coffee

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Mon Dec 28 22:29:20 CST 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 6:38 PM, Starfinder Stanley <coffee at starf.org>
wrote:

> Been wanting to try the liquid nitrogen method forever, but the
> dewars are
> prohibitively expensive and a cool way to make ice cream doesn't quite
> justify it....  I usually use a few shots of espresso, I'll try the
> cold
> brewed approach next time.  Do you find that the dairy medium
> extracts as
> well as straight water?

Depends on what you mean by "as well as." I'm sure it extracts
DIFFERENTLY, but the proof is in the pudding...err...ice cream. I've
always wondered how the fat-heavy environment alters the extraction
process. But it does make yummy ice cream.

>  I usually use heavy cream, eggs, whey protein,
> calcium caseinate, and liquid stevia (I don't eat sugar).  Haven't
> tried
> lecithin....

How does Stevia work? Sugar, in ice cream, plays an important
structural role; as more ice crystals freeze out, the sugar
concentration in the unfrozen portion increases, depressing it's
freezing point. This gives ice cream scoopability.

And egg yolks are rich in lecithin.
-
allon