[Homeroast] Cory Rod in a Yama Vacpot?

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 20:34:38 CST 2009

Hi Bob,

I haven't done a lot of specific comparisons, but my impression is that the
Cona rod, being less textured, is better served with a more consistent,
finer grind. Ironically, the coarse grinds in the most commonly used
grinders don't come out nearly as consistently as the fine grinds, and the
Cona rod needs most of all a consistent grind.

The Cona is also better at filtering out fines than the Cory and Conrning
rods, and so it stands up to finer grinding from that angle as well. You'll
generally have less sediment in the cup with the Cona than the Cory, so,
again, you can grind finer.

In general, though, the Cory rods seem to provide the best overall
performance in terms of the mechanics of drawdown. Because they tend to let
more fines through, you'll want to grind coarser to limit the amount of
fines that get through.

Do let us know how you get on. As always, we'll be looking for more vacpot
data points!

Doug