[Homeroast] I-Roast2 malfunctions

Starfinder Stanley coffee at starf.org
Mon Dec 28 16:10:45 CST 2009

Well, I took it apart as best I could here (armed with a phillips driver and
little else), checked all the connections I could, unseated and reseated
everything, didn't see any obviously bad solder joints, reassembled it, and,
of the 4 possible outcomes.... no change whatsoever.  I can exactly
replicate what it is doing by unplugging and replugging the cord, or by
toggling the switch on a power strip off/on, in the middle of a roast.  It
seems that it runs for about 4-6 minutes when cold, then shuts off,
(restart) then will run usually about 30-40 seconds before shutting down
again, (restart) 30-40 seconds and shuts down, restart.... etc until
sufficient roast prompts the cool button.  Once in cool mode it runs without
hiccup until the 3 minute cycle is over.

So it seems like something is interrupting the power supply when it is hot.

I'm leaving tomorrow; if she decides to replace the unit, I'll have her send
me the old base and see if I can figure out what is wrong with it.