[Homeroast] Cold Brewing Coffee

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 28 13:04:24 CST 2009

Hey everyone,
I doubt this email will reach you but what the heck. Has anyone here tried cold brewing? I just discovered it over the holiday.

Personally, I prefer iced coffee over hot. For Christmas, my Mother in Law got me a Ronco cold brewing kit thing: http://www.ronco.com/coffeetime/ . I was a little skeptical about it because it involves letting the beans steep in cold water for 8 to 12 hours(not to mention that I generally am skeptical of As seen on TV products) but I am finding that the taste is very distinctive. I believe that Seattle's Best uses a similar technique to produce their iced coffee in house.

The basic set up is very simple, you grind the beans for a regular drip brewer, let them brew in cold water for 8 to 12 hours and then filter through a good filter (The Ronco comes with a cotton thick filter, I am not sure if a gold filter will work, I don't see why not.) The instructions have you add 8 oz beans (I think this is by weight), to 48 fluid oz of water. This produces a concentrated coffee base which you can dilute appropriately (approx. 1 to 1 ratio base to water). Ronco claims the base will retain flavor in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (which I do not believe for a minute but am going to experiment with).

Ronco is not the only company to produce such a system, I believe Seattle's Best has a couple different types(theirs appear to be of higher quality).

Ryan M. Ward

*Note: This email was sent from a computer running Ubuntu Linux 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
http://www.ubuntu.com