[Homeroast] Cory Rod in a Yama Vacpot?

Bob Hazen peatmonster at comcast.net
Sun Dec 27 22:37:33 CST 2009

Thanks Doug.  Yes I do mean the 5-cup Yama.

You may recall a post of mine earlier this month about my travails with the
vac pot.  I found that going finer on the grind brought up the body and
flavor from the thin coffee I was experiencing.  It was counterintuitive to
go finer.  I had been using the grind I use for drip thinking that finer
would produce a stall.  Not so!  In fact, it drew down a little quicker.  I
usually grind for drip at 14 on my Anfim grinder.  Espresso is about 9.  The
most recent vac pot coffee was ground at 11.  I think I'll try finer until I
produce a stall, or the tell-tale bitterness of over-extraction shows up.

BTW, for me bitterness is a great way to zero in on grind.  I've seen it
come and go with just a single increment on a grinder.  I've had good luck
dialing down the grind until the bitterness shows up and then moving coarser
by one notch.  It ought to work with the vac pot, methinks.

Bob