[Homeroast] I-Roast2 malfunctions

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 14:25:08 CST 2009

If #1 base heater fried, that was problem #1.

If #2 base started out malfunctioning, problem #2 could be the polarity of
the AC power receptacle and the iR2 electric plug. Electric light bulbs are
not polarized, nor are electric heater elements.

But- the micro-controller in the iR base unit could be very susceptible to
reversed 115v ac polarity. The 5-tube ac-dc table radios had the "neutral"
wide receptacle prong connected to the chassis. Get it backwards and you
could hock the shell out of yourself. Or worse, if you set it on the edge of
the tub.

Ever notice how all of the toy appliances only have plastic cases, knobs and
handles? KISS

Cheers, Mabuhay, Iechyd da -RayO, aka Opa!

elende Kaffee - hoffendlich nicht hier, nicht für meine Freunde- hindi
mangyayari! Ayos na ang Kasunod...
On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Starfinder Stanley <coffee at starf.org>wrote:

> Well, here I am at the inlaws' in Florida, trying to troubleshoot the
> malfunctioning iRoast2 we gave them for XMas (from SM's) 2 years ago.  The
> first one fried itself in about a year and was replaced by the company with
> another base unit, which didn't work properly from the get-go....
> Unfortunately, around the same time her mom was diagnosed with cancer, and
> so coffee roasting was relegated to the back burner for a while.
>
> Now that things are settling down again, she's started trying to roast
> again, and the malfunctioning unit is frustrating her.  It fires up fine,
> but gets partway through a roast and then just shuts off ---I've seen it do
> it 3 minutes in, or 7 minutes in, both times on the same profile from a
> cold
> start.  When it shuts off, it just resets to ready-to-roast, like it was
> just plugged in.  You can start it roasting again (and I did, since I was
> not even to first crack), and it might run for 15 seconds or through to the
> end of the roast.
>
> I started off by reducing the amount of beans to 1/2 a cup.  No
> improvement.  I thought it might be restricted airflow, since the first
> unit
> died and the second wasn't working right out of the box, so I cleaned all
> the screens thoroughly.  No improvement.  I removed the lower air intake
> screen to reduce preload.  Seemed to run longer, but still didn't make it
> through a roast, and the time to shutdown is so variable I can't say that
> it
> helped any.  I took the roaster outside and ran it without the chaff lid
> on,
> to minimize afterload backpressure.  Still took 3 resets to finish the
> roast.  I angled the roaster to take some more pressure off the fan.  No
> improvement.
>
> Next I'll see if it runs through the whole cycle without beans, I guess....
> Anybody have any ideas, suggestions?
>
> ...Starfinder

Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...