[Homeroast] OT: Cast Iron Cookware (from "Roasting smoke and birds")

Carrie Goetze cargo at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 23 13:36:18 CST 2009

I do I do!!

----- Original Message ----
From: Ken Schillinger <ken at whidbey.com>
Sent: Wed, December 23, 2009 11:24:40 AM
Subject: Re: [Homeroast] OT: Cast Iron Cookware (from "Roasting smoke and birds")

"Anybody else on the list in love with ancient cast-iron?"
Bob

I have used, and still have a few cast iron pieces of cookware that are used regularly. The one piece I will not part with is a plain skillet measuring 9" across the bottom. This skillet came from one of my grandparents (which one I have no idea). It's sole purpose in life for the last thirty five or forty years has been to bake cornbread in the oven which I do on a nearly weekly basis. I started out seasoning the pan with bacon grease/lard, then as the years rolled around I switched to a liquid shortening, and now I give it a light shot of Pam cooking spray, put it in a cold oven set to 400 degrees, then I light the oven. By the time the oven (and pan) is up to temp, I have the batter ready to pour into the pan and bake. There is no cornbread quite like that which is baked in a properly seasoned cast iron skillet. It comes out easily with a nice crisp bottom and is perfectly moist in the center. The pan requires nothing more than a quick wipe with a
 paper towel.
Ken.

Going back for a third cuppa Chiapas brewed in a FP.