[Homeroast] Roasting smoke and birds

cherry carter theravensroost at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 10:30:28 CST 2009

Hi Allon,
We have a dozen or so parrots in the great room area . . . and you are
right, they are very susceptible to smoke or fumes. That's why we don't have
a fireplace. By the time you realize the bird is in distress, it may be too
late. (This goes for cooking with non-stick surfaces, as well -- the
chemicals can quickly kill or severely damage the bird's nervous system)
I have a Behmor in the kitchen, very close to the birds, and experience no
smoke problems. However, I only roast 1/2 pound at a time. If there is
enough smoke in a room to bother you, there is enough smoke to bother the
bird.
You are not being overly cautious, there is a real risk, so be sure to
monitor the smoke situation. Think of the canary and the coal miners.
Cherry Carter