[Homeroast] Versalab M3

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Sun Dec 27 02:57:54 CST 2009

At 12:17 PM 12/26/2009, you wrote:
>The upper grinding burr, drive shaft and belt-driven sheave are supported
>and located by just a single bearing. Very slight bearing wear will allow
>the shaft to run loose and the driven burr to wobble on a shifting axis.
>Even the Corvair cooling blower and its idler pulley hub used twin bearings.

While I don't think much of the Versalab design, it's actually a dual
row bearing so it's quite a bit more stable than you're giving it
credit for. Given that it's a few hundred revolutions per shot on a
bearing that likely rated for at least 2000 RPM continuous for a year
or more with a higher load than it likely gets grinding coffee, I'd
expect it's your children or grandchildren that would have to be
concerned about replacing the bearing, not you.

Not that I'd suggest a Versalab, and not that I think the design is
good, I just don't think the bearing itself is actually the problem.

Ira