[Homeroast] I-Roast2 malfunctions

Starfinder Stanley coffee at starf.org
Sat Dec 26 23:50:52 CST 2009

Thanks for taking the pics, Allon!

I don't think there's a lot of crud in the machine because the base isn't 2
years old --- it's a replacement unit that has seen pretty light use for
about half of the last year (largely because it wasn't working right to
begin with).  However, it was working better than the base it replaced,
which wasn't working at all ----this one just had to be restarted 3 or 4
times to complete a roast.  Having done the routine myself about 5 times
this week, I can attest that as a roasting method, it's a pain in the butt.
So my wife's mom wasn't messing with it, plus she was dealing with health
issues for about 6 months and not really into roasting for a while.

I also don't think that the unit is shutting down in response to actual
overheating, since it just resets itself and will start right up again, at
which point it might run through the rest of the roast or only for 10
seconds (no discernible way to predict which).  Don't most thermal cutout
switches prevent restarting until the thing cools down?

All of which leads me to think that there is a faulty component causing the
unit to shut down inappropriately; the thermal cutout switch sounds like a
promising suspect.  The mother in law said she fell into the iRoast customer
service purgatory when she last called and gave up, as it was quite an
ordeal getting anywhere the last time she'd dealt with them.

I wonder how hard it is to get a replacement thermal cutout switch?