[Homeroast] Gene Cafe??

Derek Bradford derekbradford at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 13:23:15 CST 2009

Quick response...  I bought one a few years ago.  It roasted well, but
cooled poorly and I ultimately cooled the beans externally.  The cooling
cycle was something like 11 minutes long, and the beans were still quite
warm when it finished.  I had a couple breakdowns, but the company was
excellent about fixing it.

I wasn't as happy with it mainly because I'd been using a drum roaster over
gas beforehand, and it had a bigger batch size, easier cooling, better roast
control, and definitely a superior roast.  But I had to build that myself,
while the GC is off the shelf and works quite well overall.  If I were
looking for a roaster like that today, I think I'd look quite closely at a
Behmor instead, simply for the bigger batch size.  I brew espresso, so 1/2
pound batches means a lot of roasting.

--Derek

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Phil Palmintere <
phil.palmintere at comcast.net> wrote:

> As I read the posts of many of you, I realized that I don't recall anyone
> posting about their Gene Café experiences.  Is anyone using it? If not, why
> not?
>
> Thanks
> Phil
> --

Every path but your own is the path of fate.  --Thoreau