[Homeroast] I-Roast2 malfunctions

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Sat Dec 26 12:19:22 CST 2009

On Dec 26, 2009, at 1:01 PM, Starfinder Stanley wrote:

> Next I'll see if it runs through the whole cycle without beans, I guess....
> Anybody have any ideas, suggestions?

Well, it sounds to me like the thermal cutout switch is opening. Most home appliances that generate heat have a thermal cutout switch to prevent runaway operation in the case of a malfunction, which might lead to a fire or catastrophic failure.

After two years, I'll bet theres a lot of crud built up inside the unit.
Here's some pictures of a unit being taken apart. This one had an open coil in the heating section; I have yet to get around to repairing it.
http://www.radioactive.org/iRoast2%20Teardown/Photos.html

These photos concentrate on the electronics, not on the fan and heater. The fan is a simple shaded pole motor, which comes apart pretty easily, and can be cleaned. The impeller can also be removed and cleaned. The crud build-up inside the fan assembly may cut the airflow in a way that external efforts will not address. If you are not comfortable taking the unit apart, do not. You can get hurt, or cause a fire. But if you are comfortable with fiddly electronics bits, I suggest a complete teardown may be in order if you want to rescue this machine.

I make take a few more pictures of the fan assembly, if you want to see it. In fact, no. I will go take pictures now. Back in a few :)
-
allon