[Homeroast] OT: Cast Iron Cookware (from "Roasting smoke and birds")

Lynne lynnebiz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 12:17:43 CST 2009

Since I roast manually, stove top, I had to try roasting in a cast iron pan.

I know some people use cast iron, but for me, it was very unreliable. It
retained too much heat to be able to adjust the level of heat as I went
along (I remember that I wrote a post about it, and Sweet Maria's even wrote
verifying that cast iron isn't the best of mediums to use.

Right now, I'm finding that aluminum is the best (I don't have worries about
using aluminum - I *would* if I had something that was going to sit & absorb
the aluminum - like my mom used to do with her aluminum pan she used for
spaghetti sauce - aka, 'gravy' to my Sicilian side...)

My main problem right now is the need for a much larger/wider wooden spatula
to stir the beans. I bought larger aluminum pan to roast more at each time,
but the resulting roasts are not as even as w/my little pan. Think it's
because the spatula can't turn the greens as thoroughly because of the
size...

Anyway, I'm rambling here (as usual). Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents
about cast iron for roasting coffee...

Lynne