[Homeroast] Things i learned from Dan at USRC

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 04:51:13 CST 2009

Anybody that tries to "recalibrate" a thermocouple readout  meter will find
out soon enough that it's not nice to fool with mother nature. Have you been
doing it, and did you cause all this recent vile weather?

If you reset any measuring device, you can reset the Zero and the Full scale
Span. A millivolt potentiometer is a laboratory standard, cumbersome to use
as a real time readout device. Any screwdriver adjustment you might make
would just obliterate the calibration, making it totally unreliable.

You are already doing the right thing, by taking the temperatures as
relative numbers, not absolutes.

If you are satisfied with the results you can achieve right now, you would
be within your rights to SHOOT any hammer mechanic that arbitrarily "tweeks"
your calibrations just because he can also operate a screwdriver.

If you SNAFU your Edsel speedometer so that it reads 15 mph when you're
parked, and 50 mph when you're doing 80 mph, explanations to the constable
won't make much progress.

A properly calibrated thermocouple readout or meter will give the
temperature of the measuring junction, no matter how it gains or loses heat.

You could recalibrate the perceived color of a red traffic signal if you
approach it at 5,000,000 mph. The Doppler shift would shorten the long Red
wavelength to a nice Green. (The opposite of the Red Shift)

Cheers, Mabuhay, Iechyd da -RayO, aka Opa!

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 9:38 PM, miKe mcKoffee <mcKona at comcast.net> wrote:

> 1st crack 354f ish? That's 40f low start of "real" 1st crack temps. Now my
> USRC 3k's bean probe offset calibration has been off ~20f since the day I
> got it 2 years ago, ie 1st cracks start my bean temp reading 375-380f.
> Haven't bothered to call to find out how to correct the offset. And it's
> been no biggy since I know it's off and have all my profiles built
> accordingly. But 354f 1st crack? Not real bean temp, no way. Check Tom's
> pictorial which includes crack temps. My Caffe' Rosto & CCR HotTop roasting
> temps always agreed with Tom's pictorial examples. So I knew my USRC 3k
> bean
> probe was calibrated wrong from the git go. If your 3k is reading 354f bean
> temp 1st crack I'd have them correct the calibration before it ships.
>
> Slave to the Bean Kona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffee
> http://www.NorwestCoffee.com

> http://www.mckoffee.com/
> before.

> http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/

Persist in old ways; expect new results - suborn Insanity...