[Homeroast] OT: Cast Iron Cookware (from "Roasting smoke and birds")

Ken Schillinger ken at whidbey.com
Wed Dec 23 13:24:40 CST 2009

"Anybody else on the list in love with ancient cast-iron?"
  Bob

I have used, and still have a few cast iron pieces of cookware that are used
regularly. The one piece I will not part with is a plain skillet measuring
9" across the bottom. This skillet came from one of my grandparents (which
one I have no idea). It's sole purpose in life for the last thirty five or
forty years has been to bake cornbread in the oven which I do on a nearly
weekly basis. I started out seasoning the pan with bacon grease/lard, then
as the years rolled around I switched to a liquid shortening, and now I give
it a light shot of Pam cooking spray, put it in a cold oven set to 400
degrees, then I light the oven. By the time the oven (and pan) is up to
temp, I have the batter ready to pour into the pan and bake. There is no
cornbread quite like that which is baked in a properly seasoned cast iron
skillet. It comes out easily with a nice crisp bottom and is perfectly moist
in the center. The pan requires nothing more than a quick wipe with a paper
towel.
Ken.

Going back for a third cuppa Chiapas brewed in a FP.