[Homeroast] Roasting smoke and birds

Starfinder Stanley coffee at starf.org
Wed Dec 23 10:47:15 CST 2009

Allon, the short answer is that there is no need to worry about the coffee
smoke and your conure.  I'm visiting the inlaws in Key West right now, and
their bird's cage sits in the kitchen, literally next to the Wolf range.
They roast in the kitchen on a (gimpy!) IRoast2 with no venting beyond
switching on the oven hood.  Haven't killed the little vampire yet.  <grin>

Birds do have ultra-efficient respiratory systems (important to maintaining
consciousness while vigorously exercising at high altitudes!) so they are a
lot more sensitive to toxins, and it is definitely a good idea to avoid
fumes and any sorts of toxins.  Regular kitchen smoke is not a problem.  One
thing that is very important to avoid is overheating nonstick teflon (PTFE)
coated cookware, because if heated past about 450 F teflon releases toxic
fumes which WILL cause a lot of problems for birds.  Regular cooking on
teflon is not an issue, but if you put a pan on the stove and forget about
it, you could be in trouble.  I was just visiting a friend yesterday who
breeds dozens of species of birds, monkeys, and other exotic critters and
who cooks on teflon in his bird-filled home without batting an eye ---but
he's also a bit OCD, and would never, ever forget about a pan on the stove
for an instant).  Some people with birds ban teflon from their homes, which
might be overkill but protects the birds from mistakes.  I banned teflon
from my home because I think it leeches toxins into the food, but that's
another story.  Regardless, IMO you can't beat a good seasoned cast iron or
ceramic coated pan like Le Cruset, and if you can't handle the forearm
workout of cooking with the heavy kitchenware, there are some great new
ceramic-on-lightweight-metal non-sticks like the Greenpan with a purely
ceramic 'thermalon' coating that give you pretty good nonstick without the
toxic chemicals.  Don't be mislead by scanpan or swiss diamond pans; both
are teflon with adjunctive technologies that protect the PTFE nonstick
coating from severe scratching, which allows you to use metal tools in the
pans but does nothing to reduce the toxic aspects of the nonstick coating.

Bottom line, your coffee roasting ventilation system sounds completely
adequate, and I'd be more concerned about what else is in the kitchen vis a
vis teflon and cleaning chemicals....

Enjoy the conure, they're fun little birds when they're hand reared and well
socialized!