[Homeroast] First Behmor Chaff Fire - Any Suggestions?

John Mac johnt.mac at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 23:18:30 CST 2009

Seth-
That's NOTHING compared to the 1/2lb. of Peru I incinerated the other day
when I got distracted by the kids fighting while I was roasting. I turned
the beans into pure carbon! I'm sure there was a fire but I wasn't there to
see it :) I spent a couple of hours taking the machine completely apart to
clean away the terrible burnt smell/residue ( have pictures) and put her
back together and away I went  on to roast another four batches. My smoke
suppressor coil went out some time ago but since I roast outside I didn't
seem to notice/care. It the almost two years I've had the B16 I've done this
more than once and it keeps bouncing back. Who ever says a Behmor can't
produce dark roasts doesn't know what they are talking about. I also gave up
on the cleaning cycle since it's a waste of energy and I'd rather have beans
in there when it's on ;-) Hasn't slowed it down a bit.

Cheers!
John in Nor Cal