[Homeroast] Vac Pot Volcanic Eruption WARNING!

Kirk Janowiak janomac at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:11:27 CST 2009

I resemble that remark, Dave, although my MANY years includes just
last year in the High School lab setting as a teacher.
Boiling "chips" (whether they be chips, beads, lozenges, or teflon
"pills") are a standard bit of lab equipment in all science labs where
boiling in glassware will be done, but only now do they seem to
catching on in the kitchen. You can purchase boiling rings, disks, and
"stones," from several kitchen/cooking/"gourmet" shops and online. The
ones sold for kitchen use are "pretty," but porcelain chips (say, from
a broken old teacup or saucer) work plenty well and will last for many
years. I do prefer the lozenge-shaped ones made of borosilicate glass,
as they are a little larger and easy to fish out of the pan when I am
finished.

Even with boiling chips, I have had glassware "explode" when high-heat
was applied. This could usually be traced to a few tiny scorings from
prior cleaning or a scratch/nick on the very bottom of the boiling
flask. Believe me when I tell you that I boil in "used" boiling flasks
only after a thorough inspection!

Kirk
(Janomac)